Kilpauk Medical College is one of the leading government medical colleges in the country. The college has been influential in producing many renowned and prestigious doctors. There are two hospitals that are affiliated with Kilpauk Medical College, and they are Government Royapettah Hospital and Government Kilpauk Medical College Hospital. The college was initially named as College of Indigenous Medicine. In 1953, it was renamed as College of Integrated Medicine. In the year 1967, the female candidates agitated to have co- an educational system in the Institution and the former government of Madras acquiesce, and both male and female candidate were admitted to MBBS degree from 1967.
Initially, Intensive Care Unit of the college was allotted with 10 beds and was commissioned in June 1981 by honourable Minister for health, government of Tamil Nadu Dr. H. V. Hande. The famous PANAGAL HALL is one of the oldest buildings constructed and named after its founder and is the centre stage for the various Academic sessions.